Sullivan County Historical Society

265 Main Street

P.O. Box 247

Hurleyville, NY  12747

 

Telephone:  845-434-8044

Please telephone before you fax to:  845-434-8044

 

E-mail:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Sullivan County Historical Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3), all volunteer organization managed by an elected Board of Directors and Four officers.

Sullivan County Historical Society Board of Directors for Year 2016
PositionNameEmail
President: George Ardito  
Vice President: Russell Brey  
Secretary: Judy Magie  
Treasurer: Irene O’Leary  
Board of Directors:

June Koester

Fred Fries

Bill Burns

Arthur Hessinger

Myron Gittel

Suzanne Cecil

Daniel Briggs

William Cogswell

Joe Turechek

Sharon Thorpe

Harold Gold

Leon Butch Kortright

 

Directors Emeritus:

Leni Binder

Bernard Cohen

John Conway

Alan Dampman

 
  Last Updated: 2016-01-21



STATEMENT OF MISSION OF THE SULLIVAN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC.

SCHSLogo-ColorWebThe Sullivan County Historical Society, Inc, was established on September 18, 1886 in order to preserve the history of Sullivan County for the enlightenment of future generations. This preservation is accomplished through the storage of historical records and documents, the acquisition of artifacts illustrative of different periods in the county's history, and the mounting of both temporary and permanent exhibits. The activities of the Society include regular meetings open to the public for the discussion of county history and broader historical questions, the careful preservation of records and artifacts, the maintenance of museum exhibits, the scheduling of educational tours, the encouragement of research, and the assisting of individuals and groups seeking specific information about aspects of county history.

 

The History of

Sullivan County Historical Society

 

     The records of the New York State Education Department show that the Sullivan County Historical Society was organized on September 18, 1886. On February 18, 1892, the Society received a provisional charter and a permanent charter and certificate of incorporation were issued on March 19, 1929.

     In early 1949, after a period of inactivity caused primarily by the great depression and WWII, the organization became alive once more through the efforts of James W. Burbank, the Sullivan County Historian. Newspaper articles appeared inviting all those interested to gather for a meeting to reorganize the Society, which met in April of that year. In May of that same year, the revitalized Society elected the following as officers:

 

 

Read more: About the Society

Translate

enfrdeitptrues

Login Form

Coming Events