August 11, 1938, Liberty Register
"In the northeastern section of Sullivan County and in the southwestern corner of the township of Neversink on the north bank of the famous trout stream from which it derives its name, lies the little village of Neversink. The first settlers pronounced this word "Narwasing." In the session laws of 1798, it is spelled "Nevisink." In the settlement deed, it is given as "Naewersink," and in Sauthier's map as "Never Sink."
"Leaving Neversink on Route 55, in a northeasterly direction toward Grahamsville and travelling about two and a half miles, we turn at a right angle onto a shaded dirt road. Then driving one-half mile in a southeasterly direction on this dirt road, we come to a four corners. On our left is the pound schoolhouse, or better known today as District No. 3. We are now on Mutton Hill. Here we turn at a right angle again and start climbing at a steady but gradual grade.... Half a mile from the four corners we arrive at the very tip of Mutton Hill, about 1,800 feet elevation. As we break through the heavy woods, there before us and to the left lies the Mutton Hill burying ground...."
By Reuben R Cross